Sunday's for the Birds: Five Things You Can Do to Become a Better Birder

          If you've read the book or seen the movie The Big Year, you know that birding can become an obsession––an expensive obsession. Most of us don't have the time or money to involve ourselves in a competitive Big Year, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy birding by having a personal Big Year. 
          This year I started mine and in the first six weeks I put 127 bird species on my list. Not only have I had a birding blast, but I've learned a lot about birds and how to watch them. Here are five easy things you can do to become a better birder:

And if you think birding is an activity only enjoyed by the Miss Hathaways (The Beverly Hillbillies) of the world, you couldn't be more wrong. Birding is the fastest growing outdoor family activity in the country right now, so get outside, enjoy nature, and begin your own Big Year today.
Photograph by Wendy McSwain
 Here's a photo taken by my friend and fellow birder, Wendy McSwain. We discovered this gorgeous pair of white-tailed kites while we were birding on Galveston Island. They seemed delighted to be the center of attention.

Labels: , , , ,